What is going on?

Advertised Applications

Read on +
Planning Permit applications are advertised to allow people affected by a planning decision opportunity to comment before a final decision is made. Objections can be made via email, post or in-person.
A fundamental part of the Victorian planning system is to allow people affected by a planning decision to be given the opportunity to comment on what’s proposed before the decision is made. When the application is lodged, we will then decide whether notice will be given to the owners and occupiers of the adjoining land or any other person, and how the notice will be given.

The notice of a proposed planning permit application is generally advertised. When making the decision to advertise the application the following points are taken into consideration:

  1. If the planning scheme specifically states that advertising is not required, or if council is satisfied that the application will not have a negative impact or cause material detriment to any person, the application will not be advertised.
  1. If formal advertising is required, council will issue a written direction to advertise the application. This can be expected within a reasonable time after the application is lodged, once all the required information is provided. The advertising period is at least 14 days.

View Currently Advertised Applications

  1. You can access a list of Advertised Applications online at our eServices website.
  2. Select the 'Planning Applications that require advertising' option.

View Applications

Notifying Neighbours
Neighbours are usually notified of the permit application by letter. A notice may also be required to be displayed on the site. Large yellow notices are posted outside the property at the City of Darebin.

Current Advertised Applications

  • Alphington
  • Bundoora
  • Fairfield
  • Kingsbury
  • Macleod
  • Northcote
  • Preston
  • Reservoir
  • Thornbury
Objecting to an Application
You should ensure that the grounds of your objection are relevant to the application requirements and can be considered by Council when making a decision. Common grounds of objections that usually cannot be considered include impacts on property values, loss of views, and impacts on personal amenity where only heritage matters can be considered.
If you object to a proposed planning notice:
  1. Complete and sign the Objection to Grant of Planning Permit
  2. Submit the objection via email, post or visit in-person.

Email: townplanning@darebin.vic.gov.au

Mail to:
Statutory Planning
PO Box 91
Fax:  (03) 9261 4830

In person:
Planning Counter
Level 1, 274 Gower Street
Hours: 8:45am – 4:45pm, Monday – Friday (except public holidays)

Planning Register

Read on +
You can search for planning permit applications online via the Planning Register.

You can search the Planning Register by application number, property address or date.

  1. Access the Planning Register online via our eServices website.
  2. Select the 'Planning Application Enquiry' option.
View Planning Register  

What is going on?

Read on +
You can search for planning permit applications online, comment on a proposed application in your neighbourhood before the decision is made to issue a planning permit.

Current Planning Scheme Amendments

Read on +
Find out about Planning Scheme Amendments which are currently active or have been recently approved by the Minister for Planning.

Click here for Planning Scheme Amendment information