Older Adults

Home Support Services

Read on +
We offer services and support to help older people be active, and to stay independent and connected with the Darebin community.

'Aged care' is the name given to the services that support older people to stay independent and healthy as they age. This might be support with: personal care, cleaning, meals, transport, and more. 'Aged care' can also be residential care.

Changes to aged care and home support services 

As of 1 July 2016 the Australian Government changed the way aged care works. Now all people in Australia over the age of 65 who need support will go through My Aged Care.

The Home and Community Care (HACC) program has been replaced by the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP). This will not change the level of support for most older people. 

The CHSP is for people over the age of 65 who need a little bit of extra help at home or in the community. It is the first level of support in the aged care system. 

For more information about aged care in Australia, download our Ageing well in Darebin brochure

At Darebin, we support older people in their homes and the community through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP). We also support people under the age of 65 who are not eligible for the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS). 

We offer:

  • A care plan that we will make with you to meet your needs. 
  • High quality services delivered by friendly staff.

Personal Care
Help with a range of tasks as part of your daily routine.

Domestic Assistance
Help with tasks around your home and in your community.

Home Delivered Meals
Healthy and culturally appropriate meals brought to you at home.  

Home Maintenance
Help with minor household repairs, safety and security maintenance.

Community Transport
Help with transport for shopping, and getting to social groups or other activities in Darebin. This is a pre-booked door to door service. 

Flexible Respite
Respite to give carers a break from their caring role. This can be in the home or in the community.

Older people from Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and other cultural backgrounds 
Our service welcomes people from all cultural backgrounds, including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders. We can arrange an interpreter or other cultural supports.

Our fees are updated every year. We will talk to you about this when we first come out to meet you in your home. To see our 2017 - 2018 service fees and charges click here. For information on how service costs are worked out click here. If you would like to see the full Policy, please call us on 8470 8828.

Get in touch with us
To learn more about our services or to talk to us about your needs, call 8470 8828.
You can call us yourself, or if you give consent a family member, friend, doctor, or health service can call us for you. 

Your feedback
We welcome your feedback - good and bad. If you would like to give us feedback or make a complaint, download our Feedback and complaints form. 

Click here to learn more about our services. 

More information

Have a look at our Frequently Asked Questions

Dementia Care

Read on +
We support people living with memory loss and their carers at Yanada House in Northcote. We run activities that help to keep people's minds and bodies active, and also help to build friendships. These activities aim to meet a range of needs, interests and cultural backgrounds.

Our dementia services run from Monday to Saturday at Yanada House

These include: 
  • Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea 
  • Safe and secure door to door transport 
  • English, Italian and Greek programs, as well as a mixed cultural group
  • A range of activities and community outings
  • A care plan that is made for each person to meet their needs and interests
  • Services run by experienced staff

Our services are for people with memory loss. However, priority will be given to people living with dementia.

We care about carers too
We run a carer support group for anyone in a caring role. This is a safe place for carers to talk with and support other carers. We also have guest speakers come to talk about things that are important to carers.

For more information about services at Yanada House, including service fees, call us on 9481 9570

Yanada House
92 Dennis Street, Northcote 

Activities for older adults

Read on +
Darebin has many groups, clubs, services and activities. We can help connect you with the ones that meet your needs, interests and culture.
Some of these include:
  • Gentle activity groups
  • Art and craft activities
  • Social groups and outings
  • Meals
  • Dancing
  • Games including bowls, bocce, trugo, cards and billiards
  • Community bus
To help older people stay active in a way that interests them, Council has put together the Older and Active in Darebin 2017 – 2019. In this directory, you will find over 200 services, groups and programs that welcome older people. 

You can pick up a hard copy of the directory at a Darebin Customer Service Centre. For a word version or alternative format call Customer Service on 8470 8888.

To learn more about the directory, or to talk to us about ways that older people can get out and about in Darebin, call us on 8470 8312, or 8470 8063.

Darebin Bus
The Darebin Bus is a nine seat mini bus that local incorporated not-for-profit community groups can hire. To find out about hiring the bus, call us on 8470 8634.

Darebin Seniors Month
Every year during October, events are held across Darebin to celebrate older people. To see what what went on in Darebin in 2015, download our Springtime Community Events 2016 brochure. 

Support for Carers

Read on +
At Darebin, we care about carers too. There are a number of support options, some through Council, and some through other organisations. Carers can be any age, and although usually family members, they can also be friends, or neighbours who care for people requiring ongoing support.

Some carers live with the person they support. Other carers might drop by a few times a week to help out. Either way, we know that sometimes carers need some help, or a break from their caring role. 

Support For Carers Program
This program is funded by the Victorian Department Of Health and Human Services. At Darebin this program is focussed on support for those who care for older people, and especially (but not only) those who have memory loss or confusion. Staff can provide information, practical and general support and assistance. This can include anything from attending a carer support group, to targeted advice and assistance for carers to understand and navigate the service system. It can also help with the challenges of looking after someone who is frail or confused. There is support for you if you need short term respite or access to carer-related material aid.

Carer Support Group

This is a support group that focuses on social connection. A chance to have a chat with other carers, relevant information and occasional outings are all part of these monthly group meetings.
Yanada House runs a carer support group for anyone in a caring role. This is a safe place for carers to talk with and support other carers. We also have guest speakers come to talk about things that are important to carers. For more information about services at Yanada House, including service fees, call us on 9481 9570.

Respite options
Under the Commonwealth My Aged Care system, Darebin Council provides:

Social Support Groups
These programs operate from our Northcote facility, Yanada House and offer activity programs for people needing care so that their carers can have a break. See brochure.

Flexible Respite

In-home respite: provides support for carers of clients needing assisted support in the home (e.g. older people with dementia)
Community access individual: Individual specified activities outside the home providing opportunities to socialise, recreate, participate in community life, whilst also providing respite for the carer. 

Further information: Please call Darebin City Council’s  Aged and Disability Department on 8470 8828, if you would like to learn more about these.


Victorian Government Carer Card

The Victorian Government has worked with businesses, the local government and community organisations to provide carers with the Victorian Government Carer Card.  You, or someone you know, may be eligible.
Benefits of the card include free public transport on Sundays along with two return off-peak rail vouchers for travel anywhere within Victoria. Carers will also be able to enjoy discounted entries to Government venues such as zoos, museums and various tourist attractions.
For further information or to apply visit the Victorian Government Carer Card Program website or call the Carer Card Information Line on 1800 901 958.

Counselling and Support through My Aged Care
Counselling and support services may help you to understand and manage situations, behaviours and relationships that can be a part of being a carer. This help could, in turn, reduce the stress you may be feeling in your caring role, and perhaps help you to continue in this role for longer. 
Further information: visit the My Aged Care website or call 1800 200 422

What if I feel like I’m not coping?
If you need to talk to someone immediately, contact Lifeline (24 hours a day) on 13 11 14.

Video: We provide a range of support services for the elderly.