We manage a range of traffic issues to ensure the safety of residents and visitors to the City of Darebin.

Road Management
The public road network is managed by VicRoads, private owners and Council. 

When making a traffic enquiry to Council, we may forward your concern onto the appropriate land owner as we will not be able to assist you.  To ensure your privacy is maintained, a Council officer will confirm with you that it is acceptable to pass on your contact details.

Speeding Vehicles
Council manages requests for speeding on local roads in a transparent manner to provide as clear advice as possible.  In most instances the issue arises due to local residents driving carelessly as they are familiar with the road environment. Council will not immediately program a physical traffic treatment when a speeding issue is identified as we follow the following principles:
  • Educate motorists by improving signs and running the ‘Not So Fast’ (LINK) program
  • Enforcement by Victorian Police
  • Encourage travel using sustainable (LINK to DTS) and low impact (LINK to DSTS) modes
  • Engineering treatments that lower vehicle speeds without reducing walking, cycling or public transport amenity
‘Hoon’ Driver Behaviour

Anti-hoon laws are about making roads safer and reducing road trauma. They were introduced in Victoria in July 2006 to give Victoria Police the power to impound, immobilise or permanently confiscate vehicles driven by people in a dangerous manner. You can read more about the laws at the Victoria Police website

Victoria Police investigate and prosecute hoon drivers. If you have concerns about hoon driver behaviour in your area, you can report their behaviour to the Hoon Hotline online or by calling 1800 333 000.

Traffic Volumes in Darebin
As Darebin lies between the City of Whittlesea and the Melbourne Central Business District, there is a significant proportion of through traffic in the peak periods. Some of this traffic elects to use the local road network in preference to the arterial road network. This situation is difficult to manage without creating issues for residents in accessing their homes.

  • Local Roads – roads intended primarily to provide access to residential properties (typically up to 3,000 vehicles per day).
  • Collector Roads – roads intended primarily to provide access to abutting residential properties and to local roads, and to connect neighbourhoods to arterial roads. These may also carry public transport (typically 3,000 to 8,000 vehicles per day).
  • Arterial Roads  – roads intended primarily to carry through traffic and are managed by VicRoads.
Trucks and Heavy Vehicles on local roads
Some residents of Darebin may experience high volumes of trucks and heavy vehicles as these operators seek a route to our employment areas. 

Council has approved some roads as freight corridors, but these are few in number and are chosen to minimise the impact on our residents. Normally, designated truck routes have pavements constructed to withstand the extra loading that a large sized truck presents.

If you feel that trucks are damaging a particular section of road surface, please contact our Customer Service section on 8470 8888.

We understand that Freight Management is important for businesses in Darebin and that there can be negative impacts to our residents.  In order to provide access to businesses without reducing resident amenity, freight is encouraged onto strategic routes designed to carry such vehicles.

If you have a concern with truck parking, loading zones, or trucks in a residential street, please contact Customer Service on 8470 8888.

National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) Scheme

The heavy vehicle industry is going through a period of change with the introduction of national regulation. 

During this transition period please forward truck permits and inquiries regarding the NHVR to email

Further Information
To make an enquiry or complaint about traffic issues in your area, please email or call our Customer Service Team
Phone: 8470 8888

We can assist with the upgrade and installation various types of road signage.

Directional Signs (Blue with White Text)

If you are a community facility/organisation, you can apply for blade type Directional Signs to assist visitors to locate you.

For organisations to be eligible to apply you must provide community benefit, for example schools, places of worship or health providers.

A non refundable assessment can be undertaken for the fee of $154 (incl. GST)  Apply for Directional Signage Online (select Directional Signage and then choose Next).

If your assessment is successful, you will then receive an Invoice for the Manufacturing and Installation fee of $230 (incl. GST) per sign.

Directional signs are reviewed every five years at which time you will be sent a further invoice.

Street Identification Signage
If your street blade identification sign is lost, damaged or broken, please contact our Customer Service team on 8470 8888 for a replacement.

On-Road Business Signage
Businesses you can apply for a sign to have your business name displayed on the side of the road.  To apply you will need to complete and submit a Good on Footpath Application form and pay a fee.

On Road Tourism Signage
If you require Tourism Signage you need to contact VicRoads.

Further Information
Customer Service team
Phone: 8470 8888

Street parties are a fun, social way to get to know your neighbours and make your street a safer place to live.

Street Parties (Event Road Closure)
We encourage our communities to host street parties through offering resources including a limited amount of free public liability insurance policies. To help you prepare for any road closures you need to download and read the Guide for Road Closure Signage Diagram.

If you would like to apply to hold a Street Party you need to complete a Street Party Application Form and submit to Council at least 6 weeks prior to the event. You will need to notify everyone affected by the road closure using the Notification to Residents and Traders of Street Party Template and record their consent on this form.

Further information
Community Wellbeing
Phone: 8470 8587

$1.5m was been allocated in 2015/2016 to a number of important traffic management projects that will help curb speeding, deter rat running and make our streets safer for all. Further funding has been provided in 2016/2017 to investigate other identified issues and address them where possible.

How Does Council Manage Traffic

In line with Council’s adopted Transport Strategy – Going Places, we seek to provide a safe transport environment for all road users.  To ensure we were meeting this objective, Council surveyed all 67,000 residents to seek their feedback on what their concerns were when travelling around the Municipality.  This clearly indicated that vehicles speeding, crashes and traffic volumes in their neighbourhood were the primary concerns.

In line with the Municipal wide traffic survey results, Council reviewed all roads in Darebin to identify where speeding, crashes and high volumes are regularly observed.  We are using this information to these manage issues within broader precincts.  Through ongoing engagement with our community we will be implementing works to make our streets a safer place.  This diagram of the Traffic Management Approach charts the process that we are following.

Transport Management Projects 
Initial projects were identified through last year’s municipal-wide community consultation on transport priorities. Please read the 2015-2016 Traffic Management Projects for the status of each of the 17 locations as of mid-May 2016.  

Springthorpe Boulevard Macleod 
Improved traffic management treatments are planned for Springthorpe Boulevard as part of our 2015/16 projects. 

An in-depth community consultation was held early this year. Ideas were developed into these designsPlease note: this is a large file and best viewed on a computer. A hard copy is also on display at the Springthorpe Country Club. Construction dates will be announced shortly.  

40km Area for Northcote
We’re working towards local neighbourhoods that are more inviting and safe for all. This includes people who are walking, riding and driving, and people of all ages. To help achieve this, we’ve been working closely with VicRoads and Victoria Police to install safer speed zones where appropriate. 

Over 700 responses were received to a recent survey of southern Northcote residents, with over 70% of those in favour of the proposal. A 40km area will soon be coming to the south of Northcote.

The 40km area will reach from Charles/Clarke Streets in the north; Victoria Road in the east; the Merri Creek in the south; and Merri Creek and Merri Parade in the west. This will not alter the current speed limits on Clarke, High or Westgarth Streets or Victoria Road. Signage for the 40km area is expected to be installed in June.

We have a diverse range of locations all within close proximity to the CBD. From inner city period homes to suburban areas and vast parklands, Darebin has proven to be a popular filming location for many shows.

Filming Permits


Permits are required to film within the City of Darebin municipality ensure that activities are conducted in accordance with Council’s regulations. A copy of your public liability insurance coverage (minimum of $20,000,000) is also required upon applying.


If you want to film in Darebin we suggest you firstly read our Conditions for Filming

Apply for a Filming Permit

To apply for a Permit to film within the City of Darebin municipality, please compete the following steps in order to complete the application form(s) and send it to the contact listed below.

  1. Complete the Filming Permit Application Form
  2. Complete the Filming Addendum Application Form (if required) and a Location Agreement Form
  3. Submit your application.

Mail to:
Traffic Services
City of Darebin
PO Box 91


Filming Permit Fees


Filming permit will incur a $324.00 application fee. No fees apply for student productions.


If you require parking in the area you will be charged a daily rate for each parking bay you require

Commercial Parking Bay - $53.00 per day

Residential Parking Bay - $23.00 per day


Your production company will be invoiced upon approval of your permit and payment must be made prior to any activities.


 Parks or Gardens

If you require use of a Council owned facility, park, sports ground or other open space, your application will be assessed to ensure it meets our hiring conditions and the location is available. If approved a separate booking fee may apply.

Consent Forms

If you would like Darebin residents to be part of your film you will need to gain consent from each party, including children under 18 years old. 


Further Information
Customer Service
Ph: 8470 8888