Bins and Rubbish Collection

Your household waste bins are collected weekly, except on certain public holidays. Waste in this bin goes straight to landfill. Do you know what you can put in your waste bin? Material that can be reused, recycled or composted should not go in this bin.

Waste and Recycling Frequently Asked Questions - COVID-19 Pandemic

As we spend more time at home, some residents may be finding they have more waste and recycling than before, while others may find that they have less waste as they are buying less. Here are some Frequently Asked Questions and responses to help your household bins stay on track during this time:

Frequently Asked Questions - Darebin Waste and Recycling during COVID-19 Pandemic

Household waste bins are collected weekly. The day of collection depends on where you live. Visit the Rubbish Collection Days Map to find your collection day or search for your property address on the Interactive Map on DarebinGuide.

Waste collection calendars for 2021 are now available:
2021 East Zone Recycling Calendar
2021 West Zone Recycling Calendar

Calendars are also available from our Customer Service Centres, or you can call 8470 8888 to request a copy.

Christmas and public holidays collections
Bins are not collected on Anzac Day, Good Friday, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Bins will be collected the following day and one day later for the rest of the week.

Bin collections will occur on other public holidays as normal.

If you are ever unsure about your collection, please call us on 8470 8888 on the day before your regular collection to check.


What can I put in my rubbish bin?

  • General rubbish
  • Fabric and textiles - find where to donate and recycle clothing here
  • Plastic bags and all other soft plastics - find out where to recycle soft plastic here
  • Nappies (wrapped)
  • Broken ceramics (cups and plates), broken Pyrex, broken mirrors, broken glasses (drinking glasses) (wrapped)
  • Polystyrene, packing foam, foam beans and foam balls (contained in a bag so they don't escape and become litter)
  • Garden hoses, rubber
  • Animal waste and kitty litter

We encourage all residents to recycle their food scraps in a home compost, worm farm or Bokashi bin, or their food and green waste recycling bin (if you have access to one). If you don't have access to these options, you could find a location nearby to take your food waste on the ShareWaste app. Food scraps can go in your general waste bin if you are unable to use these options.

Rubbish must be contained or wrapped as best as possible.

What can't I put in my rubbish bin

To help protect our environment and recover more precious resources, the Victorian Government has banned all e-waste from going to landfill as of 1 July 2019. This means e-waste can not go in any kerbside bin. Find out where to take e-waste here.

Download our A to Z Waste and Recycling Guide to find where you can dispose or recycle household items that are not accepted in your kerbside bins.  

Kerbside collection of food and green waste

Council began collecting food scraps as part of the existing green waste bin service in October 2019. Food and other organic waste makes up around 40% of the material in the average waste bin. You can reduce the amount of waste in your rubbish bin by ordering a food and green waste bin and using the food and green waste recycling service.

Your bin will not be collected if:

  • it is too close to obstacles such as trees, poles, other bins or parked cars
  • it weighs more than 30 kilograms
  • it is put out too late
  • it is overfilled or has anything on top of it or leaning against it.

Further information
Customer Service
Phone: 8470 8888

Has your bin been damaged, stolen or lost and you need a replacement? Is your bin too small for your household needs?

Lost, stolen or damaged bins

If your bin is lost, stolen or damaged Council will repair or replace it. If your bin needs to be replaced, it will be replaced with Council’s standard size 80 litre waste bin unless you have a valid larger bin permit. Your replacement or repaired bin will have a red lid. Please contact Council to request a replacement or repair to your bin.

Ph: 8470 8888
Visit a Customer Service Centre.

Red-lidded general waste bins are coming to Darebin

If you are receiving Council's waste service for the first time your new waste bin will have a red lid. Existing dark green lidded waste bins that are lost, stolen or damaged and need repair will also be replaced with a red-lidded general waste bin. 

Red-lidded waste bins will align Darebin with the Australian Standard. This is a planned action in Darebin’s Waste and Recycling Strategy and a requirement of the State government policy Recycling Victoria

There is no change to the collection frequency as a result of this change. Click here for more information.

Important note about 80 litre bins in Darebin

The 80 litre waste bin has been the standard bin size since 1996. Some residents may still have a 120 or 140 litre bin (from the former City of Preston), however these are being progressively replaced with 80 litre bins when they are lost, stolen, damaged or fall in the back of the collection truck. Existing 120 and 140 litre bins are now over 20 years old and it is expected that these will all be replaced with the standard 80 litre bin in the coming years. Any residents who feel they need a larger bin can apply for a larger bin permit (fees may apply depending on household size).

My property has never had bins

If you have recently moved into a property and do not have a waste or recycling bin, please contact Customer Service 8470 8888 to order new bins.

Request to upsize your waste bin 

The standard size waste bin in Darebin is 80 litres. You can reduce your waste by:

We understand that there are some reasons for requiring a larger bin, such as:

  • Larger families
  • Share houses
  • You or someone you live with has a medical condition

If you’re unable to minimise your waste and require a larger waste bin, you can upsize your waste bin to either a 120 or 240 litre bin. A maximum of 240 litres is allowed per household. 

Fees may apply depending on the number of people living at your property. Permits must be renewed and paid annually.

Applications can only be made if your property receives a Council managed waste service. If your property receives a private waste collection, please contact your owners corporation to discuss additional waste needs. Businesses and commercial properties are not eligible to upsize and must seek a private waste arrangement.

Larger bin permit applications can be made online here. The application can be found under 'Licenses'. Please note: This form should only be used to upsize your current bin. If you do not have any bins at your property, or wish to downsize a larger bin, please call Customer Service 8470 8888 to order new bins. 

Request a larger waste bin for a medical condition

If you, or someone who lives with you, require a larger bin for a medical condition you may be entitled to a fee exemption. Larger bin fee exemptions will be assessed to determine eligibility and you will need to renew your permit each year. Please contact Customer Service on 8470 8888 to enquire.

Further Information
Customer Service
Ph: 8470 8888


Has your rubbish bin been missed during a recent collection? Please advise us within 48 hours of your bin being missed so we can arrange for another collection.

You can report your missed bin to us over the phone or in-person at our Customer Service Centres.

Missed Collection Tips

  • Leave your bin on the front nature strip as we will arrange for it to be collected.
  • Ensure that there are no cars blocking access to bin.
  • If your bin was only half emptied give the bin a good shake to loosen up rubbish just in case it is jammed in the bin.
  • Does your bin have a contamination sticker? If so, you'll need to remove the wrong type of material from the bin before it can be collected.

Further Information
Customer Service
Ph: 8470 8888