Clean Streets

Our street sweeping trucks drive by your street every month to keep the gutters clean.

Residential streets are swept once a month and made right-of-ways are cleaned once per quarter. The schedule for your street is available on DarebinGuide.

  1. Visit DarebinGuide
  2. Select the DarebinGuide link.
  3. Enter your property address in the Address Search
  4. Under Select Layer choose the option: Street Cleansing Boundaries. 
The Search Results area will provide a link to the Street Cleansing Calendar.

Why hasn't our street been cleaned?

  • Our trucks can't sweep the road in front of your house if there is a parked car in the way.
  • Cleaning is only provided for streets (property line to property line, made laneways) and Darebin owned car parks.
  • Autumn leaves can gather quickly creating a lot of mess on the street, during this time streets are usually swept fortnightly.

Report a Road Spill
If you notice that oil, paint or cement has been spilled across your street please report it to us. We will arrange for the spill to be inspected and cleaned as soon as possible.

Further Information
Customer Service
Ph: 8470 8888

Council installs and maintains the street litter and recycling bins that you see in shopping precincts, parks and along some streets. These bins are to help pedestrians dispose of litter legally in Darebin.

Public litter and recycling bins are there to help pedestrians when out and about.
Public litter bins are available throughout Darebin. Public recycling bins (with the yellow top) are being installed across the municipality. They are currently available in main shopping precincts such as High Street in Northcote, Station Street in Fairfield, Edwardes Street in Reservoir and other shopping strips. There are also some in Edwardes Lake Park – and others will be coming soon to other parks throughout Darebin.

Only recyclable items can go into the recycling bins eg: empty plastic bottles, cans, plastic food containers, coffee cups and newspapers.  All other litter, like polystyrene, food, plastic bags or soft plastic packaging need to go into the litter bin

Business and household waste and recycling must go in your business or household bins.
Public litter and recycling bins are only provided for pedestrian use. Business and household waste and recycling are not permitted in these bins. You may be fined if you use them for these purposes, so please use your business or household bins, not the public bins.

Please help us to keep your litter and recycling bins working for you!
You can report issues with public litter and recycling bins by calling Customer Service on 8470 8888.

How to suggest sites for public litter or recycling bins
On Council Land: Council can only install litter and recycling bins on Council land. If you believe a public litter or recycling bin is needed on Council land, you can suggest this by calling Customer Service on 8470 8888. Council installs bins based on a number of different factors, including whether it is Council land, accessibility and safety for use, collection and emptying, other bins in the nearby area, location of the site, site use, the amount and/or type of litter in the area etc.

At Public Transport Stops: All train stations and some major tram and bus stops are located on Public Transport Victoria (PTV) land. Council is unable to install and/or empty bins at these locations.

If you believe a litter or recycling bin is needed at public transport stops on PTV land, you can request bins through the PTV website Feedback and Complaints form here.  To check if the public transport stop is on PTV land you can search for the property owner here.

For more information and assistance call Customer Service on 8470 8888.

Council proudly supports Clean Up Australia Day, which is held on the first Sunday in March each year.

Clean Up Australia Day attracts thousands of volunteers Australia wide and is the nation's largest community-based environmental event. The event encourages businesses, schools and the community to get outside and get involved, while building community awareness of the impacts littering has on our environment.

Clean Up Australia Day is fun, easy and everyone can get involved. Individuals and local groups can organise a Clean Up site or volunteer to join an existing site right here in Darebin on the Clean Up Australia Day website.

We will continue to promote and assist with coordinating the Clean Up Australia Day campaign in Darebin and we would like to thank all volunteers who have helped on the day to clean up our local parks, waterways and streets.

Clean Up Australia Day 2018
• Tuesday 27 February 2018 for businesses
• Friday 2 March 2018 for schools
• Sunday 4 March 2018 for the local community

For more information and registration visit

Residents and owners are responsible for keeping their property clean.

Building Materials on Roads or Footpaths
Roads and footpaths should be kept free of mud, dirt, sand and other materials at all times. Where possible, all building materials should be kept on your private property. 

Overhanging Trees and Branches
Residents are urged to ensure that the boundaries of their property remain clear of obstructions, and that overhanging tree branches are no lower than 2.4 metres. Council will issue notices to property owners requesting the removal of obstructions near footpaths, and issue fines to residents when requests are not followed.

To report overhanging foliage or obstacles on the footpath please contact Customer Service on 8470 8888



Unsightly Premises
Property owners are required to keep their land free of any items that may be deemed unsightly or detrimental to the amenity of the neighbourhood.



Parking on Naturestrips
Parking cars, trailers, boats or other vehicles on nature strips or reserves is not permitted. Park within your property or on the road against the curb.

Fire Hazards

You don't have to live in the country to be at risk from a grassfire or bushfire. Suburban homes can come under threat, especially when they are close to our parks, reserves and creeks. Being fire ready is a shared responsibility between government, emergency services and the community. 

Council Fire Prevention Officers will carry out inspections across the Municipality from November to March each year with all properties being inspected to ensure that they are maintained to a fire safe condition.

 Property owners can reduce the risk of fire on their properties by clearing anything that could fuel a fire, including:

  • regularly mowing the grass and raking up leaves
  • removing weeds and pruning bushes and trees
  • keeping garden beds moist through mulching or other non-flammable ground covers like pebbles
  • regularly clearing leaves from gutters, roofs, downpipes and around the base of trees
  • maintaining a well-watered lawn (complying with water restrictions)
  • storing flammable or combustible materials such as woodpiles and rubbish away from your house

 When a property is identified as being a fire hazard or maintained to a fire safe standard, a Fire Prevention Notice will be issued to each owner of the property. Owners have 14 days to clear the property (no extensions can be permitted). The property will be re-inspected after the expiry of the notice.

If the property is still deemed a fire hazard, Council will clear the property and all charges for the clean-up are passed on to the property owners to pay. A fine is also issued to all owners of the property for failing to comply with the Notice.

Fire Prevention Frequently Asked Questions

More information



Burning Off
Residents are reminded that lighting incinerators or burning in the open air is prohibited in Darebin to promote a cleaner environment. An on-the-spot fine of $200 may be issued to anyone found breaking this law.

Fires may only be lit outdoors when cooking food. Residents are asked to advise neighbours and Council prior to cooking food outdoors.

It is illegal to have an outdoor fire of any kind during Total Fire Ban days. Ask your local fire brigade for more information about declared Total Fire Ban days. Further information is available on the Department of Sustainability and Environment website.

Further Information
For complaints or concerns about smoke caused by indoor heating or cooking, contact us:

Customer Service
Ph: 8470 8888

Trees or branches that have fallen can cause dangers on our roads, please report any issues you find in your local area to us and we'll arrange for the mess to be cleaned up.

Street trees and trees in parks can become damaged during a storm and can become a danger on the road.

Report a Fallen Tree or Branch
If you notice a fallen tree or large branch on the road, nature strip or in a park please report it to us. We will arrange for the scene to be inspected and cleaned as soon as possible.

    Further Information
    Customer Service
    Ph: 8470 8888

    We have a range of initiatives to reduce the impact of graffiti on our community including the graffiti removal subsidy program for residents and businesses.

    We offer private property owners (residential and business), a subsidy to assist in the removal of graffiti on their property.

    Property owners can receive one of the following to remove graffiti in any 12 month period:
    • A voucher for $50 towards a 4 litre tin of paint.
    • A voucher for $50 towards the total cost of hiring a graffiti removal contractor.
    • A voucher for a graffiti removal kit containing a biodegradable chemical and cleaning equipment.
    To apply for a Graffiti Removal Voucher, contact us.

    Note: Graffiti removal can cause significant damage to the environment. Where possible, use biodegradable chemicals and recycled water.

    Offensive Graffiti
    We offer a subsidy of up to $500 to assist private property owners in rapidly removing offensive graffiti from their residential or commercial property. Offensive graffiti is defined as having the potential to insult members or groups in the community.

    It commonly includes defamatory or degrading remarks about race, religion, sex or personal privacy.

    More information on Council's approach to graffiti management can be found in the 2014-2018 Graffiti Management Strategy.

    Further Information
    Customer Service
    Ph: 8470 8888

    Posting up advertising or bill posters on street poles is illegal, and doesn't make our City look very appealing. Stick to advertising your posters where you have permission, or you may receive a fine.

    Unfortunately, it costs us thousands of dollars each year to clean up advertising on street poles.

    Advertising on poles is illegal according to the Environment Protection Act 1970, and offenders (and those who instruct others to put up) who put up posters may be fined.