Our impressive and flexible proscenium arch theatre is ideal for live performances of all art forms, including dance, live music and concerts, circus, comedy, musicals and opera, theatre, and film screenings.
The climate controlled theatre is equipped with a fly tower, orchestra pit, flexible lighting rig including a full range of LED and intelligent fixtures, audio visual solutions including dynamic sound system (compatible with an Assistive Hearing system) and projection, and seating for 385 patrons.
The theatre is equipped with two chorus-style dressing rooms below the stage for up to 60 people with toilet, shower and laundry facilities, and an accessible lift to the stage (maximum load of 100kg). We have professional in-house venue technicians available to facilitate your production requirements throughout the pre-production process to event delivery.
As a ticketed venue, Darebin Arts Centre provides a complete ticketing service through our in-house box office system, including regular ticketing sales reports upon request.
Theatre technical specifications:
Our Grevillea Room is a large circular room that can be divided in half with a solid partition wall to form the Jacaranda Room, with total room diameter lengths of 24m x 14.7m respectively, and 425 m² in total.
The Grevillea Room can accommodate up to 400 people when set in theatre style orientation and up to 200 people in cabaret style.
Its polished oak timber floorboards, and perimeter ceiling-to-floor black drapes for enhanced acoustics, makes this malleable space ideal for bespoke performances, development and rehearsal periods, and community creative classes. The room is also equipped with an in-built audio system and twin projectors set in stationary positions from the ceiling.
Current hire rates and rehearsal rates are available, see Fees & Charges.
Darebin Arts Centre houses an impressive commercial kitchen that is available as an affordable hireable and programmable activation space, as well as available for leasing opportunities.
Please refer to our current Fees and Charges for hourly, daily and weekly hire rates.
Darebin Arts Centre currently retains a food licence for the kitchen with Darebin City Council.
The kitchen is 132m² and comprises of the following equipment listed below:
- Two walk-in cool rooms, complete with stainless steel shelving
- One walk-in freezer, complete with stainless steel shelving
- Hobart Pass-through dishwasher
- Williams double glass door general produce refrigerator
- Williams three door under-bench refrigerator
- Waldorf six ring burner with oven
- Waldorf deep fryer with six baskets
- 2x dual flow Blodgett gas convection ovens
- Convostar electric steamer oven
- Tilting brat pan
- Waldorf Salamander
- 4x Stainless steel bench spaces
- Dry goods store room
- Crockery store room
- Robot Coupe food processor
- Apuro meat grinder
- Apuro vacuum-pack machine
- Stainless steel bain marie and hot press
- Kitchen Aid stand mixer
- Reminghaus electric meat slicing machine
- Hobart electric steel mixer
- Separate staff room with amenities and locker facilities
- Kitchen loading dock
Enquiries and Bookings:
Phone: 8470 8282
How to Hire a Space:
- To express interest or apply to hire Darebin Arts Centre, please complete our online Booking Application Form. Your application will be reviewed by our event services team, and they will respond to your application within two weeks of submission.
- If your event can be accommodated on your requested date, you will receive a Hire Agreement and Deposit Invoice which are required to be signed and paid to confirm your booking. You will then receive all event documents related to your booking, which must be returned by the due date to email@example.com.
- Final payment for your event occurs after your event has been delivered. You will receive an invoice or income receipt from Darebin City Council 4-6 weeks after your event.
Phone: 8470 8282
Fees and Charges:
Please refer to our Fees and Charges for a guide to current costs associated with hiring with us at Darebin Arts Centre. We recommend including as much information in your booking application form as possible to ensure that an accurate initial cost estimate can be produced for you.
A more detailed cost estimate will be provided to your once your event is confirmed and an in-depth discussion has been had regarding the bespoke requirements for your event.
There are two spaces within Darebin Arts Centre which are free for community members to exhibit in. Darebin Arts Centre curates these exhibitions annually through an expressions of interest process.
Our exhibition spaces are the Banksia Gallery and the Foyer, with the option of additional space in adjacent corridors for larger exhibitions. The Banksia Gallery is approximately 9 x 9m. There is a hanging system installed around the room and a small number of plinths are available on request.
The Foyer is available for hanging works only. Exhibition space includes one 9 metre wall with a hanging system and lighting available.
Exhibitions typically run for a duration of 1 month.
Want to exhibit in one of our exhibition spaces?
Applications to exhibit in 2020 are now closed. Successful applicants will be notified in early 2020.
Gallery Hours: Tuesday to Friday, 9am - 5pm
The galleries may also be available to the public outside these times when the venue is activated for theatre performances.
Phone: 8470 8282
The delightful Studio is abundant in natural light, with its outlook onto both the Ray Bramham Gardens and our shady outdoor courtyard, and provides an inviting and inspirational space for creative thinking, networking, and developments.
The Studio’s generous size of 6.75m x 15.7m, with polished Tasmanian Oak floorboards throughout, presents an ideal space for local artists who may be interested in co-working opportunities from 2020 onwards, in line with Darebin Arts Centre’s new business model as a dedicated arts centre.
Information will be provided via this page and our monthly e-newsletter to the public from the start of the calendar year 2020 through an Expression of Interest application process.