Northcote is jammed packed full of history since it was first surveyed in 1837 by Robert Hoddle. Your favourite local haunts (Northcote Social Club, Peacock Inn and Wesley Anne) originated way back in 1854!
- In May 1861 title deeds for a property in Separation Street indicated the local township Northcote was known as Cawdortown.
- A. H. and W. Richardson were brothers who, in January 1888, founded the Northcote Leader and District Record.
- Catherine Oliver arrived in Northcote about 1850, establishing the townships first butchers shop. By the latter half of the 1800s she owned one of Northcote's premier butcheries.
- Westgarth Cinema, officially opened on October 20th, 1921 and was known as the Westgarth Picture Theatre.
- Northcote was gazetted as a City on 30 March and a special Proclamation ceremony was held on the 27 May 1914. Thousands of people lined the decorated streets to be part of this historic occasion.
- On May 25th, 1883 the township of Northcote had been created. In celebration the City of Northcote had ten days of celebration from 15 to 25 May 1933. A large number activities were planned, including sporting events, plays, dances, reunion parties and guided tours. The Education Department even agreed to grant a half day holiday for Northcote School children.
- The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh's visit in 1954 included a royal progress down High Street. The Northcote Townhall was decorated with portraits of the Queen and the Duke painted by Council painter Fred Forde.
Find more at: