The Governance Local Law covers the conduct of Council and Committee meetings, the common seal and election of Mayor.
Darebin City Council Governance Local Law 2013 (Local Law No.1 of 2013) is made under Part 5 section 111 of the Local Government Act 1989.
The objectives of the Local Law are to:
- Regulate proceedings at Council meetings, Committee meetings and other meetings conducted by or on behalf of Council where Council has resolved that the provisions of the Local Law are to apply.
- Regulate proceedings for the election of the Mayor, and Chairpersons of various Committees
- Regulate the use of the common seal
- Prohibit unauthorised use of the common seal or any device resembling the common seal
- Make provision for related administrative procedures
- Provide for peace, order and good government of the municipal district.